About Me

My photo
I came to residential Real Estate just a bit under 10 years ago, after having been very successful in other ventures...I've been a senior excutive with 2 public companies, an art publisher, I've owned a small TV station, I've been an apparel designer...and have been befriended by International acknowledged Artists like LeRoy Neiman, Erte, Yaccov Agam, Lebadang, and Leonardo Nierman...I've made presentations to Captains of Industry like Steve Wynn, Merv Griffin, and former Air Force Chief of Staff General McPeak. So I've seen and done alot...and today, after a serious health challenge, I'm a Realtor on Chicago's North Shore, but upon reflection, but Real Estate may well be the most rewarding of all of my endeavors, except for being a Grandfather to 2 beautiful children. Professionally, I thrive upon 'HELPING MAKE DREAMS COME TRUE'.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do's and Don'ts about Grills... BBQ Grills that is...

Q We have a permanently installed gas grill that is about 30 years old. It does not get a lot of use. For a number of years, the interior paint on the lid has had flakes and chips. I scrape it, use a wire brush and steel wool to clean it, and rinse it with water. After a few days of drying, I spray it with black heat-resistant paint.

It looks good for a year or so, then the flaking starts again.

Is there something you can recommend for a cleaner (for the smoke and grease) or primer, or can you tell me what I might be doing wrong so that my attempts at refurbishment will last longer?


A Have you used a degreaser on the interior to prep for painting? Sometimes a buildup of grease will prevent paint from adhering to the interior surface of a grill. Rinsing with water isn't a good substitute.

Some experts recommend several thin coats of heat-resistant paint, with proper drying and light sanding between coats, rather than one thick coat, for a longer-lasting finish.

Once you finish painting and the final coat is dry, turn up the heat full blast to cure the new coating. The experts also suggest a quick touch-up coat periodically, perhaps once a year, whether the grill needs it or not.

Thirty years is a long time for anything to remain fresh and good-looking — people as well as gas grills. The fact that you've kept it running this long is a tribute to your care and diligence.

____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment